Cosmetic surgery in 10 questions
How to choose a cosmetic surgeon?
Five points must be checked before making an appointment with a specialist:
The team of the surgeon and the clinic: Dr. Gerbault and Dr. Makhoul have surrounded themselves with experienced professionals dedicated to the well-being of patients.
- Karine: Coordinator. She will welcome you after the consultation of Dr. Gerbault, to explain in detail the modalities of your intervention, to facilitate its preparation.
- Fariza: Nurse graduated state, operating aid of Dr. Gerbault.
- Myriam: Secretary and Dermopigmentation.
- Solen: Secretary and Communication.
- Julie: Esthetician Expert, in charge of endermology, some epilations, cosmetological peels, cryolipolysis care assistant.
Continuing education and participation in scientific conferences: to continue to train and progress (scientific journals and books, congresses, visits of confreres...)
Dr. Gerbault teaches regularly in France and abroad. On this occasion, he visits the most performing surgeons in their country, and attends the conferences given by the plastic surgeons experts in their field. In the same way, many surgeons come to visit Dr. Gerbault to train.
Finally, Dr. Gerbault is scientific coordinator of the surgical program of the annual congress of IMCAS, Paris. Thus, he remains constantly at the forefront of aesthetic surgery through his exchanges with the best surgeons in this field.
Expertise and specialization: expertise gives some guarantee on the competence and level of the surgeon.
It is the fruit of many years spent concentrating on an area at first, then advancing it through scientific work, research, articles ... but also by the articles or books that the surgeon wrote on the subject. The conferences he gives, the congresses in which he is an orator. Specialization is the fact of concentrating its activity in one, two or three areas maximum. It is not realistic or credible to be a specialist in everything! Dr. Gerbault is an expert in rhinoplasty, facial rejuvenation and breast surgery.
He is also appointed professor at ISAPS (the world's leading scientific society in cosmetic surgery).
University training, diplomas: in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery, the only official and recognized in France.
This specialization can and should be checked on the website of the "Ordre National des Médecins".
Besides this, very many degrees exist in different fields touching near or far to the plastic surgery. Their value is very uneven, their interest in an activity centered on cosmetic surgery is very hypothetical, and it is impossible to verify whether these degrees have actually been acquired. In practice one can wonder about the usefulness of displaying an unverifiable list of diplomas.
Consultation is an essential and privileged moment: it is the occasion of a first meeting, a first in-depth exchange.
The patient comes to expose his or her requests, his expectations, his fears... A thorough examination of the morphological characteristics is carried out, measurements are taken, and then photos are taken to make a detailed analysis with the patient on computer. Computer simulations are carried out whenever possible with the patient to facilitate dialogue and explanations, to show what is feasible or not. Similar examples are usually reviewed to show the different steps after the operation and the final results.
It is ultimately a real medical consultation where a diagnosis has to be made and then a therapeutic plan is detailed, and the patient ultimately is in charge of the decision, after being fully informed of all Advantages and disadvantages, after-effects and risks, but also the expected benefits.
What are the main surgeries practiced by Dr. Olivier Gerbault?
Dr. Olivier Gerbault is involved in 4 main areas of cosmetic surgery:
Rhinoplasty: to modify the structure of the nose.
It may be motivated by functional problems and / or an aesthetic concern.
The purpose of a rhinoplasty is to make a modification of the shape of the nose by obtaining a natural and harmonious result, but also a satisfactory respiratory function.
Dr. Olivier Gerbault practices primary rhinoplasty, when it is a first operation, and secondary rhinoplasty, when a previous rhinoplasty has already been performed.
This field of intervention also includes chin-surgery (genioplasty / profiloplasty) and other reliefs of the face: otoplasty (ears surgery), increased forehead or cheekbones by lipofilling...
Facelift, or facial rejuvenation surgery.
This intervention aims to enhance the facial features of the face, to clarify and plump it, to restore its vitality of the past, while preserving the expression of the face. The facelift allows a slowing down of the process of lasting aging on the face.
A restoration of volumes lost by lipofilling is most often associated. This area of intervention also includes blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery, which can erase some effects of aging on the eyes such as drooping eyelids, pockets under the eyes...
Breast surgery, or cosmetic surgery of the breasts.
It notably allows to increase an insufficient volume of the breast, or to correct the alterations of the breasts related to the pregnancies, the variations of weight, aging...
Body contouring surgery.
A reception questionnaire is given to you to create your file confidentially.
During the consultation:
Dr. Gerbault or Dr. Makhoul analyze your requests and expectations.
- They perform many measures and a functional analysis to take account of possible morphological constraints in the choices that will be made.
- Digital photos are routinely performed, and computer simulations are also made depending on the type of action planned.
- You establish together an intervention project, and discuss all technical aspects: advantages and disadvantages, recovery, downtime, risks...
Following the consultation:
Florence welcomes you and is at your disposal for questions that you have not asked Dr. Gerbault or Dr. Makhoul.
- She tells you the steps to follow for programming your surgical intervention.
- She can also tell you about the details of the postoperative period so you can best plan your intervention.
- Finally, for patients from province or abroad, Florence will be responsible for programing the operation and can suggest places to stay near the clinic.
One should not confuse aesthetic medicine and cosmetic surgery. There is a real continuity between the medical and surgical approach in the field of aesthetics.
Aesthetic medicine concerns all that is not done surgically in the operating room: injections, lasers, peels, radiofrequency, ultrasound...
What is essential is to have an accurate diagnosis made after a comprehensive analysis by a practitioner who has mastered all medical and surgical techniques. The practitioner will be able to tell you objectively all medical and surgical treatments that may apply to you, with their respective advantages and disadvantages, risks and desirable timeline. On the other hand, a doctor who uses only medical techniques or a surgeon that is only trained in surgical techniques, will sometimes tend to offer only the techniques they have in their possession or that they know of, preventing the patient from benefiting from a solution that suits them best.
Cosmetic surgery has changed considerably during the past twenty years, from more rudimentary techniques which resulted in an aspect that’s rather "artificial" or operated, towards techniques that are much more sophisticated, softer and less aggressive. The aim is obtain long lasting natural results that are in harmony with the morphology and wishes of patients.
Cosmetic surgery remains an ideal solution for:
- The correction morphological defects in the nose, ears and chin.
- The treatment of the consequences of facial aging, especially when it’s pronounced, but also correcting its effects on the lower face, including the neck, which is not significantly improvable by aesthetic medicine.
- The embellishment of the breasts.
- Repair the consequences of changes on the body due to pregnancies, weight variations or time.
- The harmonization of the silhouette, especially when significantly altered.
In any case, it is up to the patient to define a realistic project with a qualified surgeon who will help them grasp the most sensitive elements of an intervention: the expected benefits, the results, and the risks.
Aesthetic medicine techniques have dramatically changed in the past twenty years.
- At the time, beautification of the face was only done by cosmetic treatments or surgery.
- The phenomenal success of aesthetic medicine is due to the fact that it provides an intermediate solution between cosmetology and surgery. Also because the market of aesthetic medicine is pushed by major international companies that inject considerable sums for doctors to buy and use their products (injectables, lasers, slimming machines...)
- Patients should be aware that aesthetic medicine procedures certainly have advantages and that is does not require surgery. They should also note that these procedures have limitations (both regarding the results themself as well as the duration in time) and risks.
Cosmetic medicine is an essential compliment to surgery: only a comprehensive approach provides an effective and natural result.